Job Title: Accounting Clerk
Department: SSF - Accounting Central
Location: Currently, this position is Virtual with work on-line. When the Seneca Student Federation re-opens after Covid-19, we expect to work in-person, on-site, at Newnham Campus.
Position Type: Part-time
As a member of the SSF team, the Accounting Clerk is responsible for helping with day-to-day clerical work and helping the organization meet its financial reporting requirements. The Accounting Clerk will work as part of a team under the direction of the Manager, Finance and Administration.
- Data entry to Excel and QuickBooks
- Review of invoices and highlighting of pertinent data
- Sorting of paper and electronic documents and maintenance of paper and electronic document files
- Assist with mailing out of documents (stuffing envelopes etc.) in post covid-19 environment
- Review of bank statements
- Review / creation of journal entries
- Assist with bank reconciliation
- Provide support and assistance to other Accounting Clerks in the SSF
- Perform related duties as directed by the Manager, Finance and Administration
- Legal entitlement to work in Canada and holding a valid SIN number
- Must be currently enrolled in an Accounting program at Seneca College
- You must be Studying in the Fall 2020 Semester (Sep to Dec of 2020)
- Time commitment - 8 to 15 hours per week (depending on scheduling)
- Accurate and speedy data entry skills
- Knowledge and experience with Excel functions such as Filters, Vlookup, Hlookup, Subtotals, and familiarity with “Tables”
- Basic computer skills (copy and paste files, searching files on a computer, etc.)
- Good math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions, decimals and ratios)
- Basic logical thinking and good attention to detail
- Knowledge of basic office procedures such as sorting and filing
- Use of office equipment such as computers, printers, photo-copiers and scanners
- Good Knowledge of accounting terminology (debit, credit, balance, entry, etc.)
- Knowledge of how to make journal entries
- Familiarity with various documents including: Invoices, Cheques, Deposits, Bank Statements
- Ability and commitment to focus and work for the SSF, without distraction or interruption (no texting or personal phone calls), for 2 hours at a time
COVID-19 Pandemic Related Minimum Requirements
- Access to, and experience using, Microsoft Office 365 package (Excel, Word, and MS Teams) as well as Adobe Acrobat DC. (The software mentioned here is offered to Seneca College students at no extra cost. Install it, its free for you!)
- Allowing the installation of collaboration tool software on your computer
- Access to a stable internet connection which you can use to work remotely online with our team.
- Access to a computer that you can use for work with the SSF, with a working microphone and the ability to support all the above-mentioned software
- Access to a phone and ability to use the regularly device for an extended amount of time
- Ability to work remotely, online, without distraction and collaborate with our team
Other Knowledge, Skills and Experience that would be an asset:
Professional experience (hands-on in a professional working environment) with:
- Advance knowledge and experience working with Excel
- QuickBooks or other integrated accounting software (Sage) etc.
- Full cycle of accounting
- Journal entries, A/P, deposits, account reconciliations
- Working with bank statements and performing bank reconciliation
To apply for this Job, please follow these specific instructions 100%:
Applications that do not follow this method will not be considered.
Please provide the following documents:
1 Your Seneca College time-table (schedule) outlining courses and times in the Fall (Sep 2020 Semester in Pdf form)
2 Your Cover Letter indicating where your learned about the job posting and what, in your opinion, makes you a competitive candidate for this position (in MS Word)
3 Your Resume (Curriculum Vitae), highlighting the qualifications mentioned in this job posting (in MS Word)
Note: Your resume should provide specific details of your knowledge and experience as it pertains to this position and the minimum requirements.
At the top of the first page of your resume:
- indicate that you are applying to the Accounting Clerk position
- indicate the Program Name and Program Code of your program of study
- indicate which semester you are currently studying in now
- indicate the total number of semesters in your program of study (How many semesters long in total is your program?)
- indicate the number of semesters you have not yet completed (How many semesters do you have left to study?)
- indicate your planned last date of study (year and month (yyyy mm)
You should find most of this information on your “Student Home” under “Academic Records” and “Manage Classes” within Learn at Seneca.
4 - Any other educational certificates or other documents that you feel should be considered in this application (in Pdf form - Please put each document in a separate pdf file.)
5 - Please provide the documents indicated in points 1 to 4 above in the file form indicated and complete with the information specifically demanded above.
6 - Please email these documents, all attached in one single email to: [email protected]
The subject of the email will include Accounting Clerk - your first and last name.
You must use your “@myseneca.ca” email account for all correspondence regarding this position.
Please address your correspondence to:
Nick Pavlakos, Manager Finance and Administration
The deadline for sending your application is Thursday October 01, 2020 at 4pm. No applications received after this deadline will be considered.
We sincerely thank all applicants for observing these instructions and for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.